Skin with an atopic tendency, also called atopic dermatitis or atopia, is a chronic skin problem caused by particular sensitivity which is hereditary (atopic terrain) tendency to develop allergic reactions.
It is characterized by an alteration in the skin’s barrier function.One child in five is currently thought to be concerned by dry or atopic tendency skin problems !
Dry skin or atopic tendency skin
How can you recognise the signs of a skin with atopic tendency ?
- The skin is very dry and rough to the touch.
- Local redness and irritation.
- Skin subject to itching.
Localisation and evolution ?
- In infants, the first signs are on the cheeks, then in skin folds, on elbows and knees.
- Generally appears at the age of 2-3 months, develops towards 2 years old and is generally attenuated towards the age of 5 through effective treatment.
What are the aggravating factors . ?
- Contact with allergens (mites, animal hair, pollens, certain foods…).
- Inappropriate cosmetic products
- Certain textiles (wool, synthetic materials…)
- Winter, which accentuates skin dryness.
- Stress or emotions.
Every day, to improve your child’s skin condition, avoid contact with allergens and adapt daily hygiene by identifying the aggravating factors.
The right procedure to treat dry skin with an atopic tendency
- Prefer luke-warm baths (35°C maximum) of short duration (2 to 3 minutes maximum) to avoid drying the skin even more, on alternate days.
- During the bath, use soap-free products enriched in lipid-enriched agents, to protect the skin from the drying effects of the bath.
- Avoid using a facecloth which is a real source of microbes.
- After the bath, dry by patting the skin gently without rubbing with a cotton towel, then moisturize the skin with a nourishing cream to provide the missing lipids and restore the skin’s barrier function.
- Pay attention to the child’s environment, humidify the rooms of the house, do not overheat his room, combat dust by aerating as much as possible and vacuum cleaning, choose cotton clothing.
- Use a special hypoallergenic* detergent for babies and banish fabric softener.
* Formulated to minimize the risk of allergies.